Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Many are the plans...

There's 5 minutes left before study session #2 for the day begins.
Jina and I walked today, and it made me remember the plans and dreams I've kept locked away. Thought to write them down, simply to see what I hope to be part of in this life. God is God and I'm not, so here's me acknowledging that He can do whatever He wants:

Many are the plans of a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Prov 19.21

I want to live in France... work with refugees in New York City... learn about AIDS, possibly intertwine the refugee work with this ~ get established in what I know here and then go abroad for a time (3 months, 6 months, years...)... follow up with time in India, working at Vellore Medical Center... serve on Mercy Ships live in Xi'an with my friends the M's and learn Chinese, meet the faces of people I've only heard about, learn more about Chinese medicine... work with an orphanage... write a book (though I'm clueless what it'd be about) and dedicate it to Jean Ariel Larkin... go to seminary in England... learn to hang glide and work as a search and rescue nurse... get better at my sewing skills and somewhere in all of this learn to prioritize.

Time's up -

1 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

A wise man once told me that you can only do what you can at the time that you do it, so just do it and it'll be the best you can do. Do you see what I mean? It was in reference to my thesis that he said this. I was immersed in seeking references, lookinglookinglooking for articles and books, searching for the perfect citations that would lead me to better references that would say just the right thing that would lead me to...write the perfect thesis. And finally he--my thesis advisor--just said, "Stop, already. You can only do what you can do at the time that you do it, so just do it and it'll be the best you can do." And I said, "But, what if I miss the perfect reference because I stopped one article too soon?"

"The perfect reference will be in the article that's published the same day that you turn in the completed thesis. Do you want to wait that long, or do you want to have a life? Just write it, Amy. Write it, do it well, and when you're done you will know that you've done it well."

And so it is with prioritizing, eh? There's no magic pill, no learning it, no switch to flip. Priorities are the birds in the mist, the deer in the fog, the barest glimpse of the lover first seen in a dream. Mutable. Today at work, my priority was processing. Tomorrow it will be Good Behavior (going to a meeting with the Boss). This evening, my priority was communication--email, a letter, this comment (way too long). Tomorrow, a much-needed date.

At first I envied what I thought was your certainty, your faith: "God steers." Now, I think I envy even more, your fearlessness: "Sometimes nothing steers. God is."

xxxooo....

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home